What Is FUE?
Thinning of hair and hair loss are normal aspects of ageing, affecting both men and women.
However, hair loss can also occur due to certain medical conditions such as alopecia, which results in male pattern baldness or female pattern baldness. Losing hair can not only knock off your sense of confidence but also affect your mental health. This is why Dr Malay Mehta provides the best FUE hair transplant in Mumbai, making sure that you walk away with newfound confidence.
If you are experiencing significant hair loss and wish to walk around with a heightened sense of confidence, contact Dr Mehta and his team today to find out just how we can help.
Follicular Unit Extraction, or FUE for short, is one of the best hair transplant procedures currently offered globally.
During your FUE procedure, Dr Malay Mehta, one of the best FUE hair transplantation surgeons in Mumbai, would take follicles from one area of your scalp – typically the back of the scalp – and implant them onto the area in need of hair.
The FUE transplant helps thicken areas of your scalp which are thinning and can be used for other areas such as your face for beard or moustache regrowth.
OUR DOCTOR - DR MALAY MEHTA
FUE Hair Transplant Surgeon – MBBS, MD – Dermatology – Venereology – Leprosy
Dr Malay Mehta is a hair transplant surgeon who has honed in on his experience all around the world to devise the best FUE hair transplant techniques. His passion for hair treatments is driven by the need to lift his community, helping them feel comfortable in who they are and giving them that everlasting sense of confidence.
FUE transplant before and after images
Grade of baldness: 4 Norwood Hamilton
Type of surgery: Sapphire FUE
Type of anesthesia: Local
Recovery time post surgery: 7 days
Expected final result: 10-12 months post surgery . This is the result after 6 months of surgery.
High density graft plantation and natural looking is the hairline is the thing for 2021. When this procedure was introduced, idea was to cover the baldness but advancement in punches, implantation method and micro forceps have pushed the envelope of better looking result!
Revision hair transplant surgery
Grade of baldness: 7 Norwood Hamilton
Type of surgery: Sapphire FUE
Type of anesthesia: Local
Recovery time post surgery: 7 days
Expected final result: 10-12 months post surgery . This is the result after 7 months of surgery.
Challenge in this case:
1. Donor area is exhausted, that happens in almost all cases with revision surgery specially when it’s performed by untrained doctor or technician . So we have to cover the large scalp area with limited resources. In this case we have used beard grafts as well .close to 5000 grafts were implanted
2. Hairline was very unnatural, we have to create pattern where in we can camouflage the linear pattern
4000 Scalp Grafts
Age of patient: 47
Previous type of surgery: FUE
Grafts implanted: Patient was informed about 4000 grafts in previous surgery
Challenge in revision surgery: Because of previous surgery, donor area is limited plus scarring of the area makes more difficult when it comes to graft harvesting (extraction)
Revision surgery grafts: 4230. We could successfully implant these many grafts.
Duration: Result is shown after 4 months of second surgery however final result is expected around 8-10 months
4100 Scalp Grafts
Grafts implanted: 4100
Results: Photo shows results after 11 months.
3000 Scalp Grafts
Age of patient: 28
Type of procedure: Crown hair transplant
Grafts implanted: 3000
Results: Photo shows results after 1 year.
4600 Scalp Grafts
Age of patient: 45
Grafts required: 4642
Result: after one year
6100 Scalp Grafts
Type of surgery: Sapphire bio FUE
No co morbid condition
Grafts done: Total 6130. Scalp donor 4650. Beard donor 1480.
Result: after 1 year.
2600 Scalp Grafts
Grafts done: 2600
Challenge: It’s relatively easy to hair transplant but it’s one of the most difficult when we deliver undetectable hairline with higher density.
Result: You can see the difference in hairline created by us and their density compared to our competitors…
4600 Scalp Grafts
Challenge: You can see how badly the hairline was given at the same time density was also next to nil.
Procedure: We used 4600 grafts in surgery out of which 800 grafts were fro beard and we covered his grads 6 baldness. One can look even amount of damage done during first surgery, roughly 500-600 grafts were implanted and they might have damaged more than 2500 grafts. So that loss is irreversible. Choosing a right clinic is very important.
Results: We gave uniformly high density and you can appreciate difference in 7 days
4300 Scalp Grafts
Challenge: Grade 5 baldness. Challenge here is to give natural looking Temple area, hair in that area is thin and growing downward direction. So angle and quality of implanted hair is very important. There are many cases in which surgeries are not performed properly and those temple hair grows side way and making them look artificial. So this is more like an artistic work.
Grafts done: 4320
Result: after 8 months.
Done FUT 3 years back
We had done FUE from scalp plus beard grafts: 5300 total grafts
Result is at 10 months
Difficulty in this case: grade 7 plus poor donor area
So in such scenario, we always have to look for other donor area. (Beard plus scalp donor area)
Result is after 10 months post sapphire FUE
Scalp plus beard donor area 3500 plus 1400 grafts
Total 4900 grafts were planted.
Result is seen after 8 months
This gentleman had done two surgeries in the past. It’s understandable that after two surgeries, his back of the head (occipital) donor area was exhausted.
In order to achieve good looking result, we have to search for another donor area; beard is second best area and generally that’s sufficient to give coverage on top of the head.
We generally use beard grafts in mid scalp and crown area because it’s thick and adds volume, it should not be used for hairline creation or and temple area as natural look is distorted.
This case is very difficult as you can see that hairline was also looking so artificial so we have to remove some grafts from the hairline as well and those coarse looking grafts were placed in mid scalp area.
Result is after 6 months.
We expect to get even fuller coverage around 12-14 months post surgery.
Technique: sapphire FUE
There are a variety of benefits that come around from an FUE hair transplant using sapphire equipment:
- No linear scarring
- Less invasive than FUT or DHI
- Improvements in confidence and self-esteem
- Improvements in anxieties associated with how you look
- Takes just a couple of hours!
BENEFITS OF THE BIO-FUE METHOD
BIO-FUE is the most advanced hair transplant method. It is mainly performed by an expert hair specialist. Various benefits include:
- No stitching
- No blood loss
- Less pain
- Faster healing
- Minimal cutting
- Quicker procedure
- Uniform depth of slits
- Proper direction of slits
- Use of most advanced equipment
How the Sapphire FUE
Procedure Works and the Timeline
In order to achieve the maximum benefit of hair restoration, a specific number of steps must be followed. Thanks to advancements in technology, Dr Malay Mehta can perform your FUE transplant using sapphire blades and applying the innovative Bio-FUE technique.
- Consult with Dr Malay Mehta
- Assess your suitability for the FUE hair transplant
- Discuss which part the hair will be grafted from
- Discuss risks of the procedure
- Set a date
- Using specialized tools such as the sapphire blades, Dr Malay Mehta will begin your graft extraction from the donor area.
- Using sapphire blades allows for minimal scab formation and enhanced recovery times by opening smaller micro incisions than those created by steel blades.
- The grafts are preserved in a special substance
- Each follicle is individually preserved in a sterile plasma solution
- Grafts are refrigerated until the implantation is ready
- Once the suitable number of follicles have been extracted from the donor area, Dr Mehta will begin implanting your follicles
- Local anaesthetic is used to help reduce pain
- You will be given specific instructions to abide by following your procedure
- A leaflet about side effects and what to expect will be given to you
- When to come back for a follow-up consultation
Dr Mehta approaches the FUE hair transplant in 2 ways depending on the level of hair loss you are experiencing and your desired outcome. This can either be done using sapphire blades or by using his new and innovative minimally invasive BIO-FUE method.
The reasons as to why Dr Mehta prefers these two methods are explained below:
WHY DO WE USE SAPPHIRE BLADES?
Not only are sapphire blades sharp, smooth, and have outstanding durability. But they also come with various antimicrobial properties which help limit your risk of infection.
Additionally, sapphire blades can be used to perform more precise incisions which are smaller than those created using steel blades.
WHY DO WE USE THE BIO-FUE METHOD?
BIO-FUE (Biotechnology-Follicular Unit Extraction) is the modern version of the traditional FUE method. BIO-FUE is otherwise known as the painless and minimally invasive (stitchless) method.
The main motive of BIO-FUE treatment is to improve hair transplant results as well as to strengthen the condition of existing hair.
The procedure of the BIO-FUE method:
In this procedure, regenerative cells from the patient’s blood are infused into the FUE donor site for rapid healing and to promote the growth of transected hairs. All follicular units are then put into the growth factor (protein) rich culture medium to reduce cell death and help to get better results of transplanted follicular units.
Finally, the enriched cells are injected into the transplanted area to promote faster healing, rapid hair growth of the transplanted hairs and also to improve the quality and aesthetic density of existing non-transplanted hair.
FUE vs Other Hair Transplant Surgery
The FUE hair transplant is not the only hair transplant procedure around.
In fact, there are various other transplants used widely, each of which has its own set of benefits and disadvantages.
A Follicular Unit Transplantation, otherwise known as FUT, works similarly to the FUE hair transplant. However, the main difference between the two is that during FUT, your surgeon will extract an entire strip of graft follicles and implant the follicles directly into the specified area without the use of a sterile plasma solution. FUT is an older method that leaves more scars and has a longer recovery time.
A Direct Hair Transplant is yet another alternative that uses fine instruments to extract the grafts and implant the follicles simultaneously. This procedure is less common and often timely and costly. Individual follicular grafts using FUE enhance recovery and achieve greater results.
FUE Hair Transplant Results
Now that you’ve had the best FUE hair transplant Mumbai has to offer by leading cosmetic surgeon Dr Malay Mehta, you’re probably wondering when to expect results.
The results timeline for the majority of patients is as follows:
- Discomfort and itching should be relieved by the end of the first week.
- Transplanted hair starts falling off within 2-3 weeks. This is normal.
- 2-3 months later you will notice a difference in your healthy follicles.
- Month 4 you will start to observe noticeable hair growth.
- 9 months – 12 months later, you should expect complete natural hair growth ready to be styled as you wish.
FUE Hair Transplant Cost In Mumbai
FUE hair transplant costs vary depending on the amounts of grafts used. At our clinic, Dr Malay Mehta promises prices starting at just 7,000 INR per 1,000 grafts per month, guaranteed to beat any quote you may have previously received! Cost can be paid in monthly instalments for a duration of up to 8 months at 0% interest.
Here at the best hair transplant clinic in Mumbai, the Malay Mehta Aesthetic Clinic, we offer competitive rates. In order to find out the price for your FUE hair transplant, we recommend you arrange a consultation with Dr Malay Mehta for a comprehensive assessment.
Starting his career by serving his local community in Gujarat, Dr Malay Mehta’s potential was discovered and so his expertise is widely requested. His career growth allowed Dr Mehta to travel and study all around the world, learning the best and most innovative techniques.
Dr Malay Mehta holds a degree in MBBS, MD in Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy. He is the clinical director of the Malay Mehta Aesthetic Clinic and has gathered the reputation of the best hair transplant surgeon in Mumbai.
Below we’re going to answer any queries or concerns you may have.
Like with any other procedure, FUE hair transplants come with certain risks and side effects. These are:
- Minimal scarring
- Infection risk due to small incisions
- Pain, itching for the first week
The following criteria make you a good candidate for the FUE hair transplant:
- Good hair density
- Short hairstyle
- Able to lie for a few hours on your stomach
- Have had a previously botched transplant
- Significantly less scarring than FUT or DHI
- Smaller surgical wounds so less recovery time
- Strategic hair follicle redistribution
There are only a handful of disadvantages when it comes to FUE hair transplantation. These are:
- The quality of the graft may be lower than using conventional micrografting methods. Therefore, it is essential you do your research when picking out a hair transplant surgeon to ensure they are adequately trained to carry out the procedure.
- FUE hair transplantation results in a variety of micro scars – one for each hair follicle grafted. Therefore, you may notice initial scarring which is going to be covered by your new hair.
1000 grafts for FUE hair transplant, Mumbai, costs 7,000 INR at the Malay Mehta Aesthetic Clinic.
2000 FUE grafts start from 14,000 INR.
The FUE hair transplant is the most widely used technique to produce the best-looking natural hair growth. There are other hair transplantation procedures offered by Dr Mehta. However, the hair transplant of choice will solely depend on your personal preference as well as your individual hair characteristics.
There are several instructions that will be given to you following your FUE hair transplant in Mumbai. These will entail the following:
- If you are in pain following your FUE hair transplant, Dr Mehta will give you a course of painkillers to put you at ease. Pain should subsidise within 2-3 days.
- Apply sterile saline solution which will be provided to you, 2-3 times per day for the first 3 days.
- You should refrain from strenuous exercise and heavy work for the first week.
- Refrain from swimming for the first 10-14 days.
- You can shower immediately after surgery. However, you must not let the water make direct contact with your graft area. Instead, try using a cup to pour water over your head.
- Avoid using hair spray and other perfumed hair products for the first week.
- Avoid hair dryers for the first 2 weeks.
- Your graft sites will begin to crust shortly after your procedure. The crusts should fall off within 7-10 days, after which you can start using a comb, carefully.