What is a body hair transplant?
Dr Mehta performs industry-leading body hair transplants that will transform your look, give you the confidence boost you need and improve your quality of life.
A hair transplant usually involves taking hair follicles from the back of the head and transplanting them to the bald areas on the scalp. In order for a BHT to be effective, it’s essential that the area the donor’s hair is taken from is thick and dense. If this isn’t the case then the body hair transplant may not produce the best results.
However, patients with a large, balding recipient area and limited donor hair on their scalp, can opt for a Body-to-Scalp hair transplant. For this procedure, it’s not essential that you still have dense hair on your head, as hair is taken from your chest, back or beard. Hair from the beard is the first choice as it has proved to have the highest success rate.
Before and after images of our clients that
have had body hair transplantations
Below are some images of our previous clients who have had a successful body hair transplant:
Done FUT 3 years back
We had done FUE from scalp plus beard grafts: 5300 total grafts
Result is at 10 months
Very poor coverage plus very average looking hairline post his first surgery by Dr XYZ.
We have three challenges:
- poor recipient site, as grafts were implanted with lot of scars in first surgery: we could overcome by using high quality slit maker, sapphire blade which has minimal tissue damage, less scars and fast healing
- we had poor donor area: we did use beard grafts to cover the entire scalp
- very poor hairline: we had to extract lot of grafts from the hairline and we could also manage to save those grafts, we implanted those grafts back to area where it is needed the most
Result is at 6 months, final result is expected around 12-14 months
Difficulty in this case: grade 7 plus poor donor area
So in such scenario, we always have to look for other donor area. (Beard plus scalp donor area)
Result is after 10 months post sapphire FUE
Scalp plus beard donor area 3500 plus 1400 grafts
Total 4900 grafts were planted.
Result is seen after 8 months
This gentleman had done two surgeries in the past. It’s understandable that after two surgeries, his back of the head (occipital) donor area was exhausted.
In order to achieve good looking result, we have to search for another donor area; beard is second best area and generally that’s sufficient to give coverage on top of the head.
We generally use beard grafts in mid scalp and crown area because it’s thick and adds volume, it should not be used for hairline creation or and temple area as natural look is distorted.
This case is very difficult as you can see that hairline was also looking so artificial so we have to remove some grafts from the hairline as well and those coarse looking grafts were placed in mid scalp area.
Result is after 6 months.
We expect to get even fuller coverage around 12-14 months post surgery.
Technique: sapphire FUE
You may be asking yourself if you’d be a good candidate for a body hair transplant. The ideal candidate for a body hair transplant is determined by the Torso Donor Index (TDI), which includes the following five criteria:
- Similar head and body hair
- The size of the donor area
- Hair density > 40 FUs/sq. Cm.
- The length of the body hair
- The number of follicular units with 2-3 hair follicles
If the TDI is less than 4 then you will not be eligible for a body hair transplant. A TDI score of 5 to 8 means that treatment may be possible but an ideal candidate for a body hair transplant will have a score of 8 or more. Get in contact with us today to find out if you’re an ideal candidate for a hair transplant.
Will body hair transplantation work for you?
Loss of hair can be caused by a number of factors but a body hair transplant will work for you if you’ve suffered hair loss and score well on the TDI. If you’ve suffered hair loss as a result of any of these factors then a body hair transplant could work for you:
- Genetics – Genetics plays a big role in hair loss. If you’re suffering from baldness as a result of a genetic predisposition, a hair transplant can solve this.
- Suffering from stress – Stress can often lead to an imbalance in our hormone production. This can cause the loss stages of the hair growth cycle to speed up, affecting the thickness and quality of your hair.
- Medication – Most hair loss as a result of medication is usually temporary but can be permanent on occasions. A hair transplant can be used to rectify any hair loss due to medication.
- Trauma – if you’ve suffered trauma because of an accident or surgical procedure and have damaged the hair follicles as a result, hair will not grow back without treatment.
What is the difference between scalp and body hair?
There are a number of differences between scalp and body hair:
- Only 100,000 follicles are on the scalp out of a total of 5,000,000 on the rest of the body.
- Hair grows longest on your scalp compared to the rest of your body, so it’s very possible that the transplanted hair will not grow as long as the original scalp hair.
- The ratio of growing to rest hair is highest on the scalp.
- The skin on the scalp is much thicker than the rest of the body.
Almost all areas of the body can be used for a body hair transplant:
- Pubic area
However as beard and chest hair is the closest to scalp hair, they are the most commonly used. The preferred donor area is the beard, as the hair has the most similar length and texture as scalp hair and as a result, have a success rate of around 80% to 85%.
How is the body hair
transplantation procedure done?
There are 2 stages of a body hair transplant procedure. The first is hair grafting which is followed by Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).
The donor area that is providing the hair for the transplant is firstly shaved. Then hair follicles are carefully removed one by one using a specialist tool.
During the transplant, the target area is also shaved. Each hair follicle is then inserted into a series of tiny incisions. These will create a series of tiny scars, but they will not be very visible if at all.
After body hair transplant and what you should know
For the first two weeks after receiving a body hair transplant you must be very careful as the grafts at this time aren’t secure. However, most patients are able to return to work after a few days. It’s also important to limit any strenuous exercise for the first month after a hair transplant in order to reduce any scarring.
How to care for your hair after surgery
It’s very important that you take care of your hair after the surgery. Below is a timeline outlining your aftercare routine:
Day 1 to 3: Relax and recover after the treatment.
Day 3 to 5: If you have any bandages from the procedure these can be removed but you must not touch the new grafts.
Day 6: By this stage, you should be able to carefully wash your hair by hand.
Day 10 to 14: At this stage, any stitches can be removed.
Day 21: Around this time the new hair often falls out but this is completely normal. It will eventually start to grow back.
When will your hair start growing?
Usually, after around 6 months your hair will start growing and you’ll be able to see significant results. However, it usually takes between 12 to 18 months for the full results to be seen.
Scarring and care of hair harvested area on your body
There are a number of ways you can minimise any visible scarring and protect the harvested area of your body hair transplant:
- Keep the harvested area clean
- Do not drink or smoke while the area is healing
- Don’t scratch or pick the scabs
- Try to avoid the sun
Take any medication prescribed to you by your hair transplant surgeon
The benefits of having a body hair transplant are not just physical but also psychological. A hair transplant can completely change your life. Here are just some of the benefits you would get:
- Don’t need existing head hair – a body hair transplant means that you don’t need to have dense hair existing on your head. Hair can be taken from a number of other non-scalp donor areas.
- Almost invisible – Only minimal traces which are almost invisible are left behind on the donor areas.
- Boost self-esteem – Men suffering from baldness often have low self-esteem. A hair transplant will not only improve your appearance, but it will also give you an extra confidence boost.
- Long-term results – Body hair transplants are proven to be very effective and the results last for many years. If you follow the aftercare instructions carefully, your results are sure to be long lasting.
- Cost-efficient – We want to ensure that anyone can afford our treatments and have a better quality of life. That’s why we ensure all of our treatments are affordable.
- Minimal recovery time – The recovery time after is minimal as it doesn’t require any stitches.
Body hair transplantation cost in Mumbai
The total cost of a body hair transplant varies depending on a number of different factors. However, the cost is predominantly based on the number of grafts you require. Grafts can cost anywhere from Rs 40 to Rs 120 and a hair transplant usually requires anywhere from 1000 to 3000 grafts.
In order to find out exactly how much a hair transplant will cost you, the best course of action is to book a consultation with our hair transplant expert Dr Mehta. He will be able to confirm the cost of the grafts and how many you will need in total.
Thinking about getting a body hair transplant? Mumbai residents should get in contact with us today for the best treatment available. All body hair transplants at the Malay Mehta Aesthetic Clinic are carried out by Dr Malay Mehta.
Dr Mehta is one of the most highly skilled Dermatologists and Hair Transplant Surgeons in Mumbai. He has an MD in Dermatology and is one of the leading cosmetic surgeons in India.
Dr Mehta began his career in the suburbs of Gujarat, where he soon perfected his transplantation techniques. With a drive and passion to learn, even more, he travelled the world to further enhance his abilities.
Having learnt a variety of new techniques from some of the world’s best hair transplant surgeons, Dr Malay Mehta returned home to offer his skills to his community. So contact the Malay Mehta Aesthetic Clinic today for more information about a body hair transplant and how Dr Mehta can help you.
If you still have any unanswered questions about a body hair transplant,
then you can either contact us directly or find the information in the section below:
Yes, body hair is good for transplanting, especially the beard or chest.
Any area of the scalp that is bald can be restored with a body hair transplant.
Yes, it is possible for a patient who has had a body hair transplant to have long hair growth.
A very small percentage of women are candidates for a body hair transplant but in some cases it is possible.
Patients should wait around 5 to 6 weeks to have a haircut after a body hair transplant.
Most successful transplants only require one procedure but in some rare cases, another may be required.
Depending on the size of the transplant you’re getting, the procedure will take approximately 4 to 8 hours.
A body hair transplant is usually carried out using local anaesthetic and sedation. This means that during the procedure you will be awake but will not feel any pain.
The recovery time after a body hair transplant varies from patient to patient. However, in most cases, it takes between 1 and 2 weeks.