WHAT IS ALOPECIA?
Hair loss can often be distressing and significantly impact your quality of life. One leading cause of hair loss is alopecia, specifically known as alopecia areata. Alopecia areata can often cause patchy hair loss, thinning of hair, or inhibiting hair growth.
Alopecia areata can affect both men and women regardless of the type of hair they have. The condition can cause the hair to fall out or thin on the scalp, and lead to a reduction in confidence and self-esteem. Luckily, Dr Malay Mehta has been able to devise several techniques for alopecia treatment. Mumbai residents can contact us at their earliest convenience to arrange an appointment and discuss their options for our wonderful hair fall treatment.
Alopecia is the medical term for hair loss that can occur on the scalp or anywhere on the body. There are a number of causes for alopecia, and the timing and course of hair loss can often help us pinpoint the root of the issue.
Alopecia can affect men and women differently. For men, alopecia may present as consistent hair loss, hair thinning, receding hairline, and patchy spots of hair. For women, alopecia can result in the thinning of hair in the front or top of the scalp.
ALOPECIA TREATMENT BEFORE AND AFTER IMAGES
If you are unsure whether alopecia treatment in Mumbai is best for you, then take a look at
our before and after gallery to give you an idea of what to expect following treatment:
Medical treatment plus laser helmet plus GFC 4 treatment
Those who meet the following candidacy criteria make ideal candidates for alopecia areata treatment in Mumbai:
- Be mentally and physically fit to withstand the treatment
- Have physical signs of balding and hair fall
- Set realistic expectations
- Are tired of balding and want new, natural hair
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TREATMENTS
FOR ALOPECIA HAIR LOSS?
Dr Malay Mehta offers several different treatments for alopecia areata that are both conservative using medications and invasive and require surgery. The treatments offered at our clinic for alopecia areata are:
- Medications – Dr Mehta can prescribe some topical or oral treatments such as minoxidil. The topical minoxidil solution is applied to the scalp twice a day. Its aim is to promote the formation of newer, stronger hair follicles within 3 months. Additionally, Dr Mehta may recommend the use of various nutritional supplements that can promote hair strength.
- Laser therapy – Dr Mehta can utilize the healing power of light to stimulate hair growth.
- Mesotherapy – This technique involves the injection of a solution of multiple nutrients such as folic acid, biotin, and vitamins directly into the scalp with the aim of stimulating blood flow and promoting scalp repair.
- Hair transplant – In severe cases, hair transplant surgery may be required to correct the effects of alopecia areata.
Alopecia areata can be attributed to several causes including medical conditions, medication side effects, hormones and genetics, and various hair habits.
- Medical conditions – Conditions that can directly affect the scalp (ringworm and other skin infections), and those that can affect the blood (anaemia, thyroid disease, and autoimmune conditions) can all contribute to alopecia areata.
- Medications – A number of medications can cause alopecia areata. Examples of these include chemotherapy, anabolic steroids, certain blood thinners, heart medications, and birth control pills.
- Hormonal changes – Hormonal changes experienced by women during childbirth can result in alopecia areata.
- Hair habits – The way you style your hair can sometimes lead to alopecia areata. For example, excessive brushing and shampooing, using high heat accessories, and overuse of hair dyes will all promote hair loss.
- Genetics – Alopecia areata and androgenetic alopecia are genetic and can occur if a family member also suffers from the condition.
If you suffer from any of the above conditions, then call us to discuss hair loss treatment in Mumbai.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF ALOPECIA?
Dr Malay Mehta has devised some of the best hair fall treatments in Mumbai so that hair loss no longer keeps you feeling less confident. Hair loss can present in a number of ways, as such, it can be classified into various types depending on the underlying cause. The different types of alopecia include:
Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease. This means that the condition is caused as a result of the malfunction of the body’s immune system, causing it to attack hair follicles. In turn, this causes the formation of patchy hair growth or in rare circumstances, total baldness.
Androgenetic alopecia is otherwise known as female or male pattern baldness. Androgenetic alopecia is the most common type of alopecia to affect us and often presents itself as a receding hairline in men with additional hair loss on the top of the scalp or as a general thinning of hair on the scalp in females.
Telogen effluvium is a type of hair loss that can occur as a result of illness, medication, and childbirth. The stress of these conditions can cause the hair to fall out, and in some cases may be severe.
X-rays, burns, and injuries can result in the formation of scar tissue on the scalp or other areas of the body where hair grows. This is known as scarring alopecia. These scars can cause the hair to not grow back. Some bacterial or fungal skin infections may also result in scarring that causes hair loss.
Traction, otherwise known as pulling, can result in hair loss. Some hairstyles that involve pulling of hair (ponytails, braids) or the constant use of headgear and helmets can result in the loss of hair.
HOW DOES ALOPECIA TREATMENT WORK?
People who have alopecia areata can choose from a number of options to manage their condition. In other words, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Multiple treatments may be tried until the desired results are seen.
The primary conservative treatments for alopecia areata work by stimulating the growth of hair. The treatments try to keep your body’s immune system from causing further damage.
To choose the best-suited treatment for you, we recommend you arrange a consultation with Dr Mehta. You can discuss your options and find out what the best treatment plan for your hair loss would be.
As well as allowing you to embrace life without the burden of low self-esteem, alopecia treatment can bring a plethora of benefits to you including:
- Stimulation of blood flow promote stronger hair, reduce hair fall, and allow for the scalp to heal itself.
- Our treatments are designed to improve the structure and texture of your hair, ensuring it is thicker and more natural.
- Our treatment is non-invasive meaning that not only are there minimal recovery rates but also will not damage your skin.
- Can be used to treat all aspects of balding on the scalp and face.
HOW MUCH DOES AN ALOPECIA TREATMENT COST IN MUMBAI?
Alopecia areata treatment costs vary in Mumbai depending on the treatment choice you have chosen. A conservative medicative therapy will cost significantly less than a more invasive approach. To determine the final cost for your procedure or treatment, we recommend you arrange an appointment with Dr Mehta.
DrMalay Mehta is renowned in India for his ability to restore hair to its full potential. He has treated hundreds of patients experiencing alopecia areata with considerable hair fall across India. Dr Mehta uses a combination of knowledge, passion, and surgical artistry to perform the most innovative and intricate procedures to ensure that hair loss will no longer be a burden to you.
To find out which alopecia areata treatments we offer and how we can combat your signs of hair loss, then make an appointment at your soonest convenience.
Some of the most common questions regarding alopecia areata are answered below.
Unfortunately, there is still no cure for alopecia. All treatments are designed to prevent the symptoms from worsening.
If you undergo one of our procedures, then yes, hair will grow back given that you follow the instructions carefully.
Stress is one of the leading causative factors of alopecia. Reducing the number of stressors in your life can drastically improve the strength and durability of your hair.
Certain types of alopecia occur as a result of a malfunction of the body’s immune system making them an autoimmune disease.
To stop your condition from getting worse you can:
- Avoid certain stressors
- Avoid unhealthy foods
- Avoid excess heat and the use of chemicals
If left untreated, alopecia can result in total baldness.
Those with family members who have the condition, those taking certain medications, and those undergoing lots of stress.
Depending on the type of alopecia, hair can fall out within weeks to years.
For most, the start of the condition often presents as thinning of the hair. Men may start to get receding hairlines and women may start to experience gradual thinning of the hair.