What is alopecia areata?
Have you experienced sudden unexplained hair loss resulting in bald patches on the scalp?
Alopecia areata is a condition that occurs when the immune system attacks hair follicles leading to hair loss. If you have this condition, you will notice your hair falling out in clumps in sections leading to spot baldness.
Anyone can suffer from this type of alopecia including men, women and children since it is an autoimmune condition. At the Malay Mehta Aesthetic Clinic, we provide various hair loss treatment options. You can book a consultation with our hair restoration specialists to get started on your hair loss treatment.
Alopecia areata is a type of hair loss that occurs when the immune system attacks the hair follicles. Once hair follicles are attacked, the hair loss starts out in patches leading to bald spots on the scalp.
People with this condition notice sudden hair fall which may also occur in other areas like the eyebrows, eyelashes and other parts of the body.
Alopecia areata treatment results
Dr. Malay Mehta offers a wide range of treatment options for hair loss designed to suit different patients’ needs and desired outcomes. Our patients get the best treatments for hair restoration in Mumbai. You can view some of our success stories below.
Medical treatment plus laser helmet plus GFC 4 treatment
Alopecia may present in different forms which can be differentiated by the pattern of hair loss.
- Patchy alopecia: This is the most common type and is characterized by one or multiple bald patches on the scalp or other parts of the body.
- Alopecia totalis: This type of alopecia results, the hair loss is complete on the scalp so the patient is left bald.
- Alopecia universalis: This is the rarest form and is characterized by loss of all hair including body hair.
Causes of alopecia areata
Alopecia is an autoimmune disorder that is caused when the immune system attacks hair follicles causing hair to fall out.
There is no definitive cause why the immune system attacks hair follicles but some genetic and environmental risk factors may increase your probability of getting this type of alopecia.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you can seek treatment at the Malay Mehta Aesthetic Clinic to get started on your hair restoration treatment.
- Sudden unexplained hair loss that occurs in patches
- Coin sized bald patches on your scalp
- Hair regrows in one bald spot and another one forms
- Hair loss in your eyebrows, lashes or other parts of your body
- Bald spots that connect to form bigger bald patches on the scalp
- Pits or ridges forming in the fingernails or toenails
Alopecia areata treatments
There is no cure for spot baldness but it can be successfully treated. When you come for a consultation at our clinic in Mumbai, our hair restoration expert, Dr. Mehta, will advise on the best course of treatment based on your condition. Some of the treatment options may include:
- Medications – Topical or oral treatments such as minoxidil may be prescribed to repair the hair follicles. The doctor may also recommend various nutritional supplements to promote regrowth of the hair and prevent further hair loss
- Laser therapy – At the Malay Mehta Aesthetic Clinic, we have the latest in laser technology treatments that can be used to stimulate regrowth of the hair growth in cases of hair loss.
- Mesotherapy – mesotherapy can also be used in hair loss treatment. It involves the injection of a solution of multiple nutrients such as folic acid, biotin, and vitamins directly into the scalp. This helps to promote hair growth by repairing hair follicles and stimulating blood flow in the scalp.
- Hair transplant – In advanced cases of alopecia, the doctor may recommend hair transplant surgery to restore the hair.
Autoimmune disorders occur when the immune system attacks cells in the body. In this type of alopecia, the immune system attacks the hair follicles resulting in hair loss and bald spots. There is no specific known cause for the autoimmune attack on hair follicles. However, some risk factors may make you more susceptible to getting this condition including:
- Genetics: if you have family members with the condition you are more likely to get it
- Thyroid disorders
- Seasonal allergies
Cost for alopecia
treatments in Mumbai
The cost of treatment for alopecia varies and will be determined during your consultation with us. Price will depend on the recommended treatment plan we advise for your individual needs. You can call our clinic at +91 – 7045291747 or book a consultation online to get a breakdown of costs based on your condition.
Dr Malay Mehta is a Mumbai-based hair transplant surgeon with experience from across the globe. He has used his vast experience to devise the best techniques for hair restoration for patients suffering from alopecia areata and other types of hair loss.
Dr Malay Mehta is passionate about helping people reclaim their confidence by ensuring they recover from hair loss and get their desired hair outcome.
Schedule a consultation to find the best treatment
To get in touch with our clinic for your hair loss treatment, you can book a consultation online with our hair restoration specialists or call us on +91-7045291747. We are located at 104 Cosmos Court, Vile Parle West, Mumbai – 400056 , Maharashtra , India.
Frequently Asked Questions
Loss of hair can be distressing but it does not have to be permanent.
You can learn more about treatment options for alopecia areata in the frequently asked questions.
Hair specialists diagnose this type of alopecia by observing the pattern of your hair loss and looking at hair cells under a microscope. The doctor may also conduct a scalp biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.
This hair loss condition can be naturally reversed using essential oils like rosemary, tea tree and peppermint. Acupuncture and scalp massages may also help boost blood flow in the scalp which promotes hair growth. Supplements such as biotin, zinc and ginseng may also help to boost hair growth.
No, it is not curable since it is an autoimmune disorder. However, there are treatment options including medications, laser treatment, mesotherapy and hair transplants that can help to reverse hair loss and restore your hair.
No, it is not permanent. Damaged hair follicles can be repaired using various treatments to restore growth of hair. In some cases, hair may grow back on its own after some time.
It can take 6 to 12 months to see results after treatment. However, the length of time it takes for the hair to grow back and to see visible results will depend on the specific course of treatment.